BA (Hons) Professional Music (Performance) Top-Up
Equivalent to the 3rd year of a degree, this course is designed to follow on from studying a music-related foundation degree, HND or similar course.
- Tuition, advice and guidance from industry mentors
- Network and collaborate with fellow musicians and like-minded people
- Gain a working in-depth knowledge of how business and music operate
- Use your existing work or personal projects and apply them to elements of the course
- Expand your career prospectus and portfolio
For Industry Professionals:
We offer the opportunity to fast-track students with industry experience (5+ years) onto the BA (Hons). We map your previous experience against the two years of the foundation degree allowing you to progress straight onto the final year and achieve a full BA (Hons) in one year.
How long will it last?
Full time 2 x 12 week semesters
Part-time 3 x 12 week semesters
Foundation degree or equivalent qualification in relevant subject.
Fast-track option: 5+ years industry experience.
What subjects will I study?
THE PROFESSIONAL PROJECT (40 credit)
Work under the supervision of an assigned industry mentor to plan, organise and create a professional project in either solo performance, songwriting, music production, dissertation, event management or composition. Project options:
• Performance – 45minute solo/accompanied performance
• Music Technology/Production – 30 minute portfolio of studio-quality recordings
• Songwriting – 30 minute portfolio of original songs
• Composition – 30 minute portfolio of original composition
• Events Management – Planning and management of a commercial event.
• Dissertation – 12-16,000 word dissertation on a research topic of your choice
EMPLOYABILITY AND ENTERPRISE IN MUSIC (20 credit) Conceive an idea for a music event and then make it a reality. You will manage all aspects of the event including promotion, finance, health and safety, organisation and evaluation.
INDEPENDENT STUDY (20 credits)
Plan, create and promote a feasible music product of your choice, such as CD, book, teaching practice or masterclass service. You will create a business plan showing market research and product development alongside creating a website to promote the product.
MUSIC AND THE MOVING IMAGE (20 credit)
You will have the opportunity to research music used in animation, film, TV or gaming, where you will then compose and record a soundtrack for a piece of moving image of your choice.
UNIVERSITY ENSEMBLES (20 credit):
You will develop and put into practice a weekly rehearsal schedule with a large and small ensemble group, you will arrange suitable music for each ensemble, leading up to a 25-minute live performance with each collective.
What happens next?
Following successful completion, you may progress to post-graduate level study e.g. MMus or MA and PgCert.
Fees and Funding
Fees per academic year are £5995.
£2997 per semester (2) for full-time study
£1,999 per semester (3) for part-time study.
Subject to eligibility you can apply for a student loan to cover fees.
Please visit www.gov.uk/apply-online-for-student-finance for more information on student finance.