- 3rd May 2021
- Online / Zoom
Love hip-hop or rap? Want to expand your skills? Considering further study? Come along to our free mini-hip-hop workshop with popular Scottish rapper and AMS tutor Steg G.
Gain an introduction into hip-hop and rap, and studying at AMS Edinburgh or Glasgow at this upcoming one-off mini-workshop. The 2 hour session acts as an introduction to our Hip-Hop and Rap course pathway, part of our accredited HNC/HNC qualification. Attendees will learn some basic hip-hop, rap and beat-making skills, plus get a run down on what our HNC/HND course entails, including the hip-hop specific pathway.
You will also have the chance to ask general questions about studying at AMS and learn about the courses we offer, in particular the HNC/HND where students get the chance to focus particularly on hip-hop and rap.
- What is Rap? A brief history and how to start rapping
- Rap techniques for beginners: different kinds of rap and poetry
- Lean about techniques such as end rhymes and internal rhymes
- How to structure and arrange a rap song
- Finding your rap voice
- Freestyle lessons: how to freestyle and expand your rhyme
- Vocabulary: Advanced rap techniques like assonance, alliteration, multi syllabic rhymes
- Beat making: Introduction to beat making software and hardware
- Introduction to sampling
- Introduction to midi beat-making
- Performance techniques and tips
- Introduction and Q&A to the AMS HNC/HND Course
Steg is a Hip Hop Artist from Glasgow. In 2019 he released the album THE AIR IN BETWEEN and in October 2019 won Best Hip Hop artist at the SAMA awards. For the last few years he has been producing for lots of artists such as Loki, Freestyle Master, Empress, CCTV, Stanley Odd, Mad hat, and many more, helping them shine and showcasing their talents. In 2020 he fully produced the – Empress – Love wins album which was released in June 2020 year to critical acclaim. This year (2021) Steg G released his latest album – Live Today . The album is a concept / story that was wrote and produced around the themes of toxic masculinity and addictions.
Hip-Hop at AMS Scotland
Our new Hip-Hop and Rap HNC/HND pathway launched in 2020 – the first music college to run this option – and it has become incredibly popular. It offers weekly classes covering songwriting techniques, style analysis and live performance to improve technical aptitude and theoretical understanding.
Our team have been working diligently with industry professionals to finally provide this course in an area typically overlooked in music education. Alongside this we also run regular free hip-hop short courses each term. Find out more.