- 5th February 2022 - 5th February 2022
- Online / Microsoft Teams
- 13:00 - 15:30
Love hip-hop or rap? Want to expand your skills? Considering further study? Come along to our free mini-hip-hop workshop.
Gain an introduction into hip-hop and rap, and studying at AMS Edinburgh or Glasgow at this upcoming one-off mini-workshop. The 2 hour session acts as an introduction to our Hip-Hop and Rap course pathway, part of our accredited HNC/HNC qualification. Attendees will learn some basic hip-hop, rap and beat-making skills, plus get a run down on what our HNC/HND course entails, including the hip-hop specific pathway.
You will also have the chance to ask general questions about studying at AMS and learn about the courses we offer, in particular the HNC/HND where students get the chance to focus particularly on hip-hop and rap.
- What is Rap? A brief history and how to start rapping
- Rap techniques for beginners: different kinds of rap and poetry
- Lean about techniques such as end rhymes and internal rhymes
- How to structure and arrange a rap song
- Finding your rap voice
- Freestyle lessons: how to freestyle and expand your rhyme
- Vocabulary: Advanced rap techniques like assonance, alliteration, multi syllabic rhymes
- Beat making: Introduction to beat making software and hardware
- Introduction to sampling
- Introduction to midi beat-making
- Performance techniques and tips
- Introduction and Q&A to the AMS HNC/HND Course
Hip-Hop at AMS Scotland
Our new Hip-Hop and Rap HNC/HND pathway launched in 2020 – the first music college to run this option – and it has become incredibly popular. It offers weekly classes covering songwriting techniques, style analysis and live performance to improve technical aptitude and theoretical understanding.
Our team have been working diligently with industry professionals to finally provide this course in an area typically overlooked in music education. Alongside this we also run regular free hip-hop short courses each term. Find out more.