Higher Education at the Academy of Music and Sound has never been more attractive!
Higher education has never been more important. The Academy of Music and Sound has a strong history of preparing students for rigours of the modern music industry. We are conscious that this is a rapidly changing industry we’re preparing our students for and so we can’t stand still when it comes to our student experience. Our Foundation Degree courses in Music and Creative Music Production and BA (hons) in Performance Industries are constantly reviewed, evaluated and updated in light of changes in the industry.
Today a degree is only half the story when it comes to your education, modern musicians needs to be incredibly skilled on their instrument or in their discipline. They also need to be experienced and connected. In response to this, we have developed a brand new, comprehensive enrichment program. All Higher Education students will have exclusive access to this program.
Our industry led masterclasses will provide specific training and connections with top class practitioners. Previous masterclasses have been delivered by Nat Powers, Newton Faulkner, Futureheads, Bumblefoot, Vintage Trouble, PRS, Musicians Union and many more.
Our industry mentor scheme will connect students with dedicated professionals who will offer help and advice. The mentors will be available throughout the course and for 6 months after graduation to really help students to get their careers off the ground.
Our mentors include:
- Roy Harter: New York based Emmy award-winning, composer, sound designer and audio mixer, best known for his work in television and film. He is also a multi-instrumentalist for various performing and recording artists. Roy is the founder and owner of the post-production facility SkinnyMan, located in New York City.
- Glen Brady: Based in California, Glen Brady is a music producer & audio engineer. He writes and produces music which has been used by on TV networks such as CBS, Fox Sports, MTV, CW Network and Sky Sports. Glen specializes in analogue synth systems, modular synths and drum machines.
- Simon Efemey: A record producer, noted for his work with Napalm Death, Paradise Lost, Obituary, Amorphis, Deceased & The Wildhearts. Simon also works mixing live sound for The Wonder Stuff, Jesus Jones, Napalm Death, Diamond Head, Orson & Obituary.
- Rick McMurray: Founding member of Alternative Rock band Ash, Rick has toured the world as a drummer. Rick has extensive experience of the live and record industry, working professionally since the early 90s!
- Plus many more, covering all aspects of the music industry!
At the end of your first year on the Foundation Degree in Music Performance, students will be taken on a tour bus to a showcase event at a location within the UK. They will showcase their talents at a gig with students from across the UK. After the gig, they will spend the night on a tour bus as they’re taken home. Music Performance students will be given delegate passes to Liverpool Sound City where you can network with the who’s who of the UK music industry. Music Production students will have the opportunity to attend Sónar in Barcelona.
Applications for our courses starting in September 2016 are still open. Apply via UCAS for the Foundation Degree courses and through the University of Wolverhampton for the BA (hons) course. Our Foundation Degrees are available in our Birmingham, Exeter, Gateshead, Swindon and Southampton centres and our BA (hons) course is available in Edinburgh, Glasgow, Gateshead, Birmingham, Swindon, Southampton and Exeter.